Tuesday, October 18, 2011

1) At this point in the novel, the main action has wrapped up now that Finny is dead and the boys are graduating, but now the war has quite literally

"The Far Common could be seen from the window of my room, and early in June I stood at the window and watched the war moving in to occupy it. The advance guard which came down the street from the railroad station consisted of a number of Jeeps..." The war now is literally creeping into Devon high school. This is showing the falling actions of the book after Finny died. This was a good way to wrap up the story because the war has been looming in the background of the story and now after the climax and the end of the problems of Gene and Finny's friendship the war comes into the story as the main ending. This war sends off all of the friends into different directions in life.
"From my locker I collected my sneakers, jock strap, and gym pants and then turned away, leaving the door ajar for the first time, forlornly open and abandoned, the locker unlocked. This was more final than the moment the headmaster handed me my diploma. My schooling was now over." This sentence is describing Gene leaving Devon once and for all to start possibly a new life and forgetting his past. He is going to the war now, becoming a man. The troubles that Devon put Gene through were now over and he had no obstacles to overcome. He was gladly leaving Devon to the war.

What obstacles do you think would come up upon Gene in the future?
If there were to be a sequel what would it mainly be about?

No comments:

Post a Comment